Saturday, March 21, 2009

Destroyed in Seconds (I should work for the Discovery Channel)

I took these back in the fall and sadly I am just getting around to posting them. My parents currently live in Midland, Texas. My dad knows just about everybody down there through his work and when he got word that they were doing a controlled demolition downtown he got permission to get on the roof of a high rise building they do some work in. Later we got word that this was a big deal. I just happened to pick that weekend to drive down and visit the parents and even though I got in after midnight I was up at about 5:30 am to go get in position for a very early morning demolition. While we were making our way through all the security, we saw over 20 people with Discovery Channel shirts on carrying all kinds of camera equipment.
I brought my Nikon D40 and shot some test shots to get the aperture and shutter speed where I wanted it. Then we hung out on the roof and waited for the sirens to sound. The City of Midland tried to turn it into a big event...I guess there isn't too much excitement in Midland. I have to admit, there were more people in the viewing area at ground level than I thought would be there. The sirens sounded and I set my shutter to rapid fire. I think they are really cool.
The first series of explosions went off and they were really loud. You could feel them in your chest. But nothing happened. Even though I have seen these on TV I caught myself thinking that they might have screwed up.Then second series of explosions......and then we went home.

3 comments:

Jesse Baggett said...

Hey, that is cool! I didn't realize Midland, TX was was large enough to have buildings like that.

kuliejellogg said...

I like the first couple of falling pictures b/c the building is falling like ribbon - very fluid looking.

Bruce said...

Skybag: Oh yes, Midlandites (Midlandians, Midlanders?) are always quick to share their cities nickname..."The Tall City". And I guess there is some truth to it seeing as there is only about 20 feet of elevation change for miles and miles around. You can see downtown from a ways out.

Julie: Only you could see ribbon in building demolition :)